Monday, March 28, 2011

Jesus heals...

'When evening came, after the sun had set, the began bringing to Him ALL who were ill and those who were demon-possessed. And the whole city had gathered at the door. And he healed MANY who were ill with various diseases, and cast out MANY demons...' Mark 1:32-34a (emphasis added are mine) I am a woman who wrestles through what I believe about God often. I never want to become complacent in my beliefs, or end up in a place where I believe I am right about everything. I want to be challenged and to know where in the Bible I draw my beliefs from. So today as I sat down to read Mark 1 I was hoping to get some new and fresh light shed on who Jesus is [to me]. And this, my friends, is what stuck out to me. I have written a few different times about my thoughts on healing, and the movement of Christians that believe that lack of healing is equal to a lack of faith. Any time I come across one of these people I always know what verses they will use to back up their belief, and I know what examples I will use to counter it (in my head). But today after reading that all who were sick came to Jesus and yet only 'many' were healed I couldn't help but rest in the fact once again that God doesn't always heal. I even looked up the verses in about 5 different versions of the Bible to see if they were all the same. They were. Thankful to serve a God who is good, even when He doesn't heal,

3 comments:

  1. so true!! And that's where real faith must stand strong. God doesn't always answer our way, but He always answers in the way best for us. As any good parent would. We can see things in such a simple and limited way, we can only see a step or two ahead, God can see infinity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about how God works for our best. We can't understand from our present viewpoint how "best" might be difficult/painful/grievous. But later, or maybe not until we reach heaven by fiath in the Savior, we can or will see how "all things work together for good, to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purposes." (Romans 8:28) I've seen this happen in my own life through hard times. And sometimes (always?), His only purpose it to cause us to cling to Him and not to our own ideas or desires. The added benefit, and also surely His purposes in taking us through hard times, is we are an encouragement to others who will one day go through the same or similar struggles. From your posts, I can tell that God will use you and your family to encourage others down the road. In the mean time, I am sorry for your daughter's health issues and the heartache her mom and dad have to experience, as you go through it with her. I know you're aware of the many places in scripture that reassures you God cares and will be with you every step of the way, offering His wisdom in the decisions you need to make for her and also comfort and strength.

    Nancy in the Midwest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, YES. I am so with you, and I had never noticed that about those verses before. It makes me think of Daniel 3:18. "But even if he doesn't..." That's where the Big faith is, I think.

    ps - Your daughter is every kind of precious!!

    ReplyDelete