Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Complaining and Contentment.


I haven't posted any pictures for a few post, and I have lots, but they are for a different day. So here's a little peek: Abigail and Papa at her ballet performance.

Notice the date on this post is a few days ago. The thing is, I have started this post a few times, and then when I come back to reread it, it's just fussy. There have been some frustrating things in the past few weeks with doctors and prescriptions. And perhaps some would say that I have a right to be fussy about it.
The truth of the matter is that if I start fussing and complaining, the next thing I know I'm in the desert cursing the provisions of bread and meat, and clothing that doesn't wear out. And all of that just leads to more and more whining and complaining and leaves me in the desert even longer.
I often hear people say that it's fine to complain about things or to vent. I can't find anything in the Bible where that is the case. I only find things about rejoicing in the day the Lord has made, and rejoicing in the Lord always.
Please don't read that as saying if you are in a painful circumstance that you must just be happy. There is a huge difference between sorrow, righteous anger, and complaining. King David never complained about his circumstances when he was hiding from King Saul. He did cry out to the Lord, ask questions, and lament about the situation.
Complaining and fussing often stem from a false sense of justice, and are things that often could be changed by your own doing. Let's take gas prices for example. Everyone complains about how much gas cost. Most people would tell you that they can't do anything about it. You can. Drive less. Choose a gas efficient car. Go grocery shopping with a friend to cut gas in half. In technicality those things don't change the gas prices, they do however change the amount you spend on gas.
I made a conscious choice a while ago to do my best not to complain. I have found that since I stopped complaining about things I don't like about myself, I have stopped finding as many flaws, not only in my, but in others. I have even started to find the things I like about me and be able to tell other people what I like about them. This holds true for things like not complaining about my husband, my daughter, our finances, our house, and so on. If I choose to see the good in my husband, my daughter, and my life, I find myself enjoying a place of contentment.
I hope you noticed the beginning of this being about how I was writing things that were fussy. This post was mostly a reminder for me about why it's important to CHOOSE contentment over complaining, venting, and being fussy. I can always find a valid reason to complain. Finding a way to be content requires so much more of my sinful heart being transformed.

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through Him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13



Still learning to be content in all things,

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this post it is wonderful! Such a wonderful reminder to make the concious choice of contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to read this today--thank you (:

    ReplyDelete