Friday, January 13, 2012

'Quality of life.'

I have learned today that hospitals, many hospitals, deny people organ transplants because of being mentally delayed.  I guess your I.Q. dictates your right to life.
CHOP is getting called to the table right now as the result of one of their doctors telling a family that their daughter couldn't have a kidney transplant because she was, 'mentally retarded.' 
If this story stirs you like it did me, do something.  Pass it on through facebook, your blog, twitter, and anything else you could think of.  Doctor's take a Hippocratic oath stating, 'first do no harm.'  I can not understand where allowing a child to die because of her lack of intelligence is 'doing no harm.'

1 comment:

  1. This story is killing me. We are a CHOP family and I pray that there is more to this than meets the eye (like it's just an idiot of a doctor who's being fired as I write this or something). We have had nothing but positive experiences with the hospital. I hope this gets sorted out quickly.

    ReplyDelete